Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving praise

In honor of Thanksgiving, and reflecting on the undeserved blessings in my life that keep me going day after day and fill me with ample joy, I came across this weighty reflection by C.S. Lewis on the Psalms. It reminds me of the most important thing in my life that I often neglect to show gratitude or praise for...

"But the most obvious fact about praise – whether of God or anything – strangely escaped me. I thought of it in terms of compliment, approval, or the giving of honour. I had never noticed that all enjoyment spontaneously overflows into praise. The world rings with praise – lovers praising their mistresses [Romeo praising Juliet and vice versa], readers their favourite poet, walkers praising the countryside, players praising their favourite game – praise of weather, wines, dishes, actors, motors, horses, colleges, countries, historical personages, children, flowers, mountains, even sometimes politicians or scholars. . . . Except where intolerably adverse circumstances interfere, praise almost seems to be inner health made audible. . . . I had not noticed either that just as men spontaneously praise whatever they value, so they spontaneously urge us to join them in praising it: 'Isn't she lovely? Wasn't it glorious? Don't you think that magnificent?' The Psalmists in telling everyone to praise God are doing what all men do when they speak of what they care about."

We praise what we care about.

Worship of God is showing our enjoyment of Him. I have no problem laughing at something funny, smiling around someone or something I love, gushing about how wonderful a certain friend is, or cheering at a stadium (I'm actually pretty reserved here, but I'm married to a loud mouth in the stands so I'll add it). BUT, I want to enjoy God in this same way. Enjoy His scripture, His presence, and His promises and blessings in the same way I enjoy food, sports, nature... or shopping. Call me cheesy, but these are my thoughts today, and this is what I'm going to focus on this week as school starts back up.

Hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving!


"You have made known to me the path of life; In your presence is fullness of joy; In your right hand are pleasures forevermore."
Psalm 16:11

1 comment:

  1. wonderful thoughts, Kristee...thanks for sharing them. Love you!

    ReplyDelete